The facility of Terra Sancta was originally built in 1962 as a monastery for the Benedictine Sisters of Saint Martin. It was their first permanent home in Rapid City after the arrival of four brave sisters to Sturgis, South Dakota from Melchtal, Switzerland in 1889. The Sisters served the Diocese of Rapid City through the ministries of education and healthcare with a special commitment to the liturgy of the hours and communal prayer.
In 2009, the Sisters built a smaller monastery to the south and in 2012, the former monastery opened as Terra Sancta Retreat Center, a Chancery Annex, and Saint Elizabeth Seton Elementary School.
We are eternally grateful for their generosity and faithfulness throughout the years.